9 days until the OCB Pine Tree State Championships!!
So many things running through my mind right now…constantly trying to make a check list, but when I think of something I need to do, 2 seconds later I already forget what it was. Welcome to Prep Life.
Since the Thaw didn’t go as I would have liked (check out my post on The Thaw), I’m approaching this peak week a bit different than last. I did a carb deplete (kind of), I sat around 60g of carbs for 5 days and did a carb load on Thursday…in retrospect, I should not have done that. I was most definitely not lean enough to do so and the carb load didn’t allow me to tighten up anymore. Lesson learned, moving on.
Since the Thaw, cardio has increased to 70-90 minutes per day: 45 minutes fasted every morning and 30-40 minutes after my lift. I’ve been slacking when it comes to core training, so that has been added in every day. Weight training split has stayed the same. I haven’t decided how I want to approach this coming Peak Week’s training. Saturday will be my last leg day before the show, that’s really the only definite right now.
Comparing what I did for the first 3 shows and what my plan of action is this time around, there’s not a huge difference except in how I’m loading leading up to the show.
Previous Peak Weeks
(2018 + March 2019)
What I did:
- Carb depleted for 4-5 days (any carbs came from vegetables)
- Salted EVERYTHING (I loved this part)…3 days out I reduced sodium intake
- Drank 2 gallons per day from Sunday to Thursday
- Decreased to 1/2 – 1 gallon for Friday
- Carb loaded on Wednesday (show was Saturday)
- Ate my normal meals [chicken, sweet potato, asparagus] every 2-3 hours the morning of the show
- Pre-stage: shoved caramel chocolate brownies and dried fruit into my face (not a great idea)
- I looked watery which is so absolutely not the desired look on stage😩
This Time Around
2019 Pine Tree
What I’m doing:
- Carb depleting starting 10+ days out
- Since Monday I have been at about 70g carbs
- Saturday or Sunday I will most likely drop all carbs, except anything from vegetables until show day
- Sodium loading + water loading (6L per day)
- Not sure how much cutting of sodium/water I will be doing…
- Fasted cardio (steady state) every damn day + weight training and more cardio (HIIT/Intervals)
- Posing every day, even if its only for 5 minutes
- No brownies or dried fruit or rice cakes before hitting the stage.
- Recommendations from a few friends, I plan to load with Skittles + a non-stim pre-workout before pumping up
Post Show Plans:
The Pine is going to be a long day and I’m not really sure what time it will all be over, but I plan to grab food before heading back to NH. Last year, I went to NOSH, where I got their Mac ‘N Stack Burger. A burger with cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce, piled between 2 fried mac & cheese squares: AMAZING
I think I’m going to go NOSH (⬅ link to their menu) again. I have my eyes on another one of their burgers as well as their nachos…😁 If you have other great suggestions for food in the Portland, ME area, please comment them below!
My plan wasn’t to compete again after the Pine, at least not this year, but I’ve been thinking…depending on how the Pine goes, meaning if I place 1st in my Open class and receive free entrance into the OCB Spirit of America, I may do it and that would be the end my season. But we will see!