If you know me, you know that I love peanut butter…like to the point that I’d go through a 16oz jar in 2 days. It’s become a rarity to have it in my house.
Growing up, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were a thing. Same with peanut butter and fluff. One of the ladies at the studio had never heard of it/never tried it and thought marshmallow fluff with peanut butter was a gross combination…I’m sorry Deb, but you are absolutely wrong.
Anyways, back to the PB&J. I was heavily craving a sandwich the other day. Luckily for me, I just happened to be walking through Target while having that craving…so of course I picked up some supplies! When I got home, I started thinking about if I wanted to toast the bread or not. Then I had a brilliant idea:
Make French toast!
It was perfect. I’d be getting a well rounded meal between having carbs, fats, and protein in an awesome meal that I’d usually count as a cheat meal!
- 2 slices bread (I used Silver Hills Sprouted Power)
- 2tbsp creamy (or crunchy) peanut butter
- 2tbsp sugar-free strawberry jelly
- 40g egg whites (or 1 whole egg)
- 20g almond milk
- little bit of vanilla extract
- Set everything out on the counter!
- Place pan on stove and set over medium heat. Coat with non-stick cooking oil.
- Measure out egg whites, almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix well.
- Dunk each slice of bread in the egg mixture, fully coating both sides.
- Place the bread on the heated pan. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes, then flip.
- Once cooked on both sides, transfer to a plate.
- Add the PB & J like a normal sandwich or drizzle over the top of the bread.
345 Calories || 29g Carbs || 18g Protein || 17g Fat
I made this on a low carb day, which is why I used the Silver Hills bread (2 slices = 19g carbs) and the sugar-free jelly.
Have fun with yours! Use almond butter or hazelnut butter. Raspberry jelly or whatever you like!